Friday, 1 January 2016

Interview with Mercedes Fox

Mercedes Fox is author of werewolves novels. Her three distinct works, Vengeance of the Werewolf, Life After, Poaching the Immortal look like they have the potential to become yet another epic worth fangirling over. I am rather pleased and honoured to be allowed to interview her. You can visit her profile on Goodreads here.

1. What is the best thing about being a writer?
It’s a solo job. I don’t have to sit in a cubby being careful what I saw or how loud I type. And I get to write stories to entertain people.

2. Which authors have influenced your writing style?
Jonathan Stroud, Sara Shepard, JK Rowling, RW Ridley.

3. How do you take negative critique?
In the beginning it hurt and I was really sensitive to negative comments. Took everything personally. Now it doesn’t bother me. My philosophy is, if you don’t like it 20 pages in nobody is forcing you to finish reading the whole book. Chuck it and move on.

4. Amongst all the books you have written, which is your favourite?
Vengeance of the Werewolf book one. It’s the one I’ve taken the most hits on but it’s also the one I held nothing back. I left my graphic, dirty and mean imagination run wild.

5. What do you hate about writing?
Marketing, I guess. But I’m getting better at that, too.

6. If you were a reviewer reviewing your own book, how would you point out the negative qualities of your book?
For Vengeance of the Werewolf, it would be the editing. Not the story but editing is horrid. This is what I’ve been told. I didn’t have an editor when I pushed it out and it shows. But my wonderful editor is working on it as we speak. When she’s done making me not look so stupid VOW will be a shined up diamond.

7. What do you think are the flaws in your book?
I have to watch myself, because I’m good at ‘talking heads’.

8. What are the best things in your book?
Shock factor and I kept the reader guessing up until the end who was who.

9. What is your writing schedule?
Twitter in the morning, then author interviews on my blog and then on to writing. Sometimes I write around noon, others afternoon, or even till 3am.

10. What are the obstacles you faced while writing?
Self doubt. Being told it was ‘a waste of time. All you do is sit on your butt all day long.’ Yeah those type of things from someone really close are hard to get around.

11. If you were given a chance to rewrite your books, how would you change them?
The only thing I would have changed was getting a professional editor on VOW. But I’m fixing that now, so nothing in the writing. The only other thing I would change is, I got sucked into one of the vanity publishers, AuthorHouse. And after paying them a couple thousand I finally realized I was getting screwed. A fellow author, G.E. Swanson (http://amzn.to/1OU9q6u) pointed me towards Createspace and he helped me through it all. From submitting my manuscript to creating the cover.

12. Do you maintain a journal?
I don’t. When I was a teen I did. Is this something writers do? Perhaps I should…

13. Would you like your books to one day turn into a movie/show?
You bet

15. How were you when you were a teenager?
Older than my years, basically a good kid. I only made one major mess up. I was test driving a Mustang, was under 18, the dealer wasn’t’ with me and I put it into the back of my friends pickup truck. He was happy, he got a new truck out of the deal.

Thank you for reading! I seize this chance to also thank this author for lettimg me interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment